Good keto diets should start with the right beginning and thus, what you have for breakfast holds great importance. The recipes need to be carefully designed to get the right supply of healthy fats and proteins, while keeping carbohydrates low. Who knows, what you think is a keto breakfast may not be keto at all? Worse, many people skip breakfast altogether. Don’t let that happen to you!
If you need some motivation and inspiration to start your day with a healthy and delicious keto breakfast, you’ve come to the right place. Whether you’re new to keto or are just looking for new low-carb breakfast ideas, there is always some scope to learn more and improve your dietary habits.
As the keto diet is super-restrictive, one is liable to make some mistakes. It can be hard to know for sure if you are going low enough in carbohydrates to hit ketosis.
Here are some inspiring low-carb keto breakfast menu ideas that you can never go wrong with!
1. Keto pancakes
- Whisk 2 eggs and ¼ cup almond milk in a bowl.
- Add in a pinch of baking powder, cinnamon, stevia, and a cup of almond flour.
- Add vanilla for flavor (optional) and continue to stir till you get a smooth flowy batter.
- Heat a frying pan, pour in a ladle of the batter, and cook on both sides until brown.
- Top with some berries or fruits of your choice and keto-friendly maple syrup.
2. Keto Fruity Quinoa Bowl
Wait, you can have quinoa on keto? Yes, according to the PlanKetogenic guide to keto-friendly foods, quinoa is low enough in carbs, as long as you keep the serving size small. You will love this quick and easy-to-make, gluten-free keto breakfast recipe.
- Measure out ¼ cup of quinoa, pour it into a strainer, and rinse it off with water.
- Put the rinsed grains in a pot and add a little less than ½ cup water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat, without removing the cover, and let it sit covered for 5-10 minutes. No peeking!
- Lift the lid and fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork.
- Now it’s time to get creative with your toppings! Add sliced strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, avocado, and maybe even some egg to your ketogenic breakfast bowl.
- You can top the bowl with some sliced almonds, coconut flakes, and chia seeds.
3. Keto Strawberry Avocado Smoothie
If you’re one of those people who are always in a rush during breakfast, why not make a smoothie?
- Take some strawberries, avocado, and almond milk, and mix them in a blender to make a super healthy and creamy morning keto smoothie.
- Pour it in a travel mug or water bottle to take it on the go (bonus: it fits into the car cupholder!)
It is not only delicious and most satisfying but will give you a healthy start to your day, no matter where you’re going or how quickly you need to leave the house.
4. Keto Breakfast Casserole
Enjoy this super savory low-carb breakfast casserole, an easy recipe to whip up for a filling and satisfying breakfast or brunch. Make it on the weekend and eat the leftovers all week long!
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and get the baking dish ready by greasing it with butter.
- Cook 1 lb. sausage until golden, transfer to a bowl, and add some minced garlic.
- Whisk a dozen eggs and one and a half-cup of heavy cream in a large bowl, add salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and set aside.
- Blanch one bunch of broccoli until tender, chop into thin pieces, and add to the bowl.
- Transfer the mix to the baking dish and sprinkle some cheese on top. Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish and bake for about an hour.
- Cool before digging into the creamy casserole, which is so hard to resist.
5. Keto Bacon & Avocado Frittata
- Preheat a non-stick pan and fry 8 rashers of bacon on high heat until crisp.
- Chop them into large pieces and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk 6 eggs, cream, some basil, and any additional seasonings that tickle your fancy.
- Pour the mix into the pan and cook on low heat for a few minutes.
- Arrange the bacon shards and avocado slices on top and grill briefly.
- Toss in salad leaves, tomatoes, and a seasoning of chili, mustard, vinegar, as per your taste.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
6. Keto Chicken and Waffles
All those on a keto diet will simply love the gluten-free waffles topped with crunchy chicken tenders.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F and get a baking tray ready, greased generously.
- Make fine crumbs out of pork rinds in a food processor, transfer them to a dish, and mix in some Parmesan.
- Whisk together 4 large eggs, mayo, and water in another bowl and add seasoning.
- Coat chicken pieces with egg mixture and the pork-rind mixture and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for half an hour until golden.
- Preheat the waffle iron to and pour in keto waffle batter made with almond flour, eggs, baking powder, and almond milk.
- Serve the waffles with the chicken tenders.
7. Keto Vegetable Egg Muffins
These low-carb savory muffins are easy to make and a great on-the-go keto breakfast. The best part is you can make them a day before to enjoy them at breakfast the following day.
- Grease a muffin tray and preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Whisk 12 eggs with half a cup of heavy cream and some freshly ground pepper in a large bowl.
- Prepare a mix of 3 ½ oz cheddar cheese and any vegetables of your choice in another bowl. Spinach, asparagus, red peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, and green onions are all good choices!
- Put the cheese and veggie mix in the muffin tray.
- Pour the eggs over the top (each muffin pod should only be up to about ¾ full because they will grow) and bake for about half an hour until done.
8. Keto Scrambled Eggs
This is another great option for those looking for an easy-to-make recipe for keto breakfast.
- Cook 2 tomatoes in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add about 175 g spinach to the pan and stir.
- Meanwhile, beat 4 eggs with 4 tbsp bio yogurt and 2 tbsp water, along with basil and black pepper.
- Pour in the egg mix and cook them until scrambled over medium heat.
- Serve the scrambled eggs while hot and enjoy the delicious breakfast.
Go ahead and try out any of the above low-carb breakfast dishes that are just perfect for those following a keto diet. Always consult your dietician and physician before making any changes to your dietary routine.
For more ideas of food to have in the morning, see what Canadians are eating for breakfast!